top of page

International dialling code: +43

Driving on the right

European Emergency Dial: 112. 

Border Crossing(s)

Entry: TBC Austria

Additional information: Immigration controls may temporarily be in place at some road and rail border crossing points with Germany, Hungary, Italy, Slovakia and Slovenia. You should carry your passport with you when crossing the border into, or from Austria, monitor local media and check with your transport provider or the Austrian Railways (OBB) website for updates. 

Approximate time to clear:​ 5 mins. Normally a very slick process. Liable to change after Brexit.

Exit:  to Hungary

Additional information: EU Country - normally no formal border checks. 

Approximate time to clear:​ 5 mins



Passport: For British Citizens must be valid for at least 3 months from date of entry. Don’t carry your passport around with you. Leave it in your hotel safe and carry a photocopy instead.

VISA's: Not required for British Citizens. EU & Schengen member.

EHIC: You should apply for a free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before you travel. If you already have an EHIC, make sure it hasn’t expired. 

Driving licence: Visitors can drive using a valid UK or other EU/EEA driving licence. There is no need for an International Driving Permit (IDP), this will remain the case after Brexit. Make sure you have the correct vehicle insurance cover before you arrive. However, if you are driving in other European countries in addition to Norway, note that you will need to get an IDP to be able to drive some European countries as a visitor if there’s a no deal Brexit. When driving in Austria, you should always carry your full British licence, ownership documents and insurance details. 

Vehicles from the UK may be imported into Austria for up to 6 months in any period of 12 months. When driving in Austria the following documents should be carried:

  • Full, valid driving licence*

  • Proof of Insurance (third party or above)

  • Proof of ID (Passport)

  • Proof of ownership (V5C certificate)

Insurance: If you are taking part in extreme sports, check that the company is well established in the industry and that you’ve arranged for your insurance to cover this specific activity. For sporting activities such as skiing, potholing and mountaineering, and for sports classed as particularly dangerous (e.g. off-piste skiing, mountain biking, climbing, paragliding or BASE jumping), your insurance should include mountain rescue services, helicopter costs and repatriation to your country of residence or possible transfer to neighbouring countries for treatment.


Roads: All motor vehicles must carry a "Mautvignette" (toll sticker) to use motorways and express roads.Travellers visiting mountainous areas should exercise caution and follow the advice of the local authorities.

There’s a danger of avalanches in some areas, particularly in periods of heavy snowfall. Even during summer time this danger still exists for snow covered areas. See Skiing.

Motorists in Austria must form an emergency corridor as soon as traffic ceases to progress and congestion is imminent on motorways or dual carriageways and highways, regardless of whether emergency vehicles are already in the vicinity or not.

If you use Austrian motorways (‘Autobahn’) and ‘S’ roads you must display a motorway vignette (sticker) on the inside of the windscreen of your vehicle as you enter Austria. Failure to have one will mean a heavy, on-the-spot fine. You can get a motorway vignette at all major border crossings into Austria and at larger petrol stations.

All vehicles above 3.5 tonnes maximum permitted laden weight using motorways and expressways must have a small device - called the ‘GO-BOX ‘ - attached to the windscreen. This includes larger private vehicles like motor caravans that are above the weight limit. If your vehicle is close to the weight limit you should carry proof of the maximum permitted laden weight. If your registration documents don’t clearly state this, you will need to produce alternative certification, eg from a weighbridge

The GO-BOX uses the high frequency range to communicate with toll points, making it possible to effect an automatic toll deduction without slowing down or stopping. They can be obtained for a one-off fee of Euro 5.00 at sales centres in Austria and neighbouring countries, or online.

If you are stopped by police on the motorway the police officer will identify him or herself. Unmarked vehicles will have a flashing electronic sign in the rear window, which reads ‘Stopp’, ‘Polizei’ and ’Folgen’. If you are in any doubt, contact the police on the emergency number 133. Drivers have the right to ask to speak to uniformed patrol officers.

Traffic: See Via Michelin or various applications including Wase.

On-the-spot fines:The Austrian police are empowered to impose and collect fines of up to €90 on the spot from drivers who violate traffic regulations. The police officer collecting the fine is required to issue an official receipt. In the event of a higher fine, the police officer may ask the motorist to pay a deposit, the remainder of the fine must be paid within two weeks of the offence.


Trailers / Towing: There are complex driving laws in Austria, especially for caravan and motor-home owners. See Road travel.

Caravans, camper vans, luggage and boat trailers may be temporarily imported into Austria without formality.

No inventory of the contents is required unless the camper van, caravan or trailer contains unusual or valuable items of equipment.

Emergency equipment: 

While driving in Austria you are required by law to carry the following items. Hefty on-the-spot fines can be issued for failing to carry specific items:

  • Headlamp beam deflectors (depending on your car, you will either need deflector stickers or have to adjust the beam manually)

  • Reflective jackets (to be used in the case of a breakdown or accident outside built-up areas, on expressways and on motorways)

  • Warning triangle (all vehicles with more than two wheels registered in Austria or abroad must be equipped with a warning triangle which conforms with EC Regulation 27)

  • First aid kit

  • Motorcyclists (safety helmets are compulsory for drivers and passengers of mopeds and motorcycles)

  • Dashboard cameras are prohibited

 Only ‘hands free’ mobile telephones can be used whilst driving.

Winter Tyres: All vehicles must be adapted to winter road conditions between 1 November and 15 April. Snow chains on the driving wheels will only be allowed as an alternative where the road is fully covered by snow and/or ice and the road surface will not be damaged by the chains. Chains or summer tyres will not be allowed for slush conditions. Heavy fines or temporary loss of vehicle may be imposed on those who ignore this legislation. 

The use of snow chains is permitted in Austria.  The maximum speed recommended is generally 50 km/h (dependent on the manufacturer's advice). In the winter months, winter tyres are recommended but for cars with summer tyres the authorities can require cars to be fitted with snow chains on the driving wheels when road conditions are bad. Motorists can hire or buy snow chains from OAMTC offices. Chains can also be hired at all major border crossings.

Weather: BBC weather forecast Vienna


Fuel: Most petrol stations are open from 0800 to 2000 hours.  In large cities some are open 24 hours a day; service stations on the motorways are generally open 24 hours a day. Credit cards are accepted by larger petrol stations. 

Water: Readily available at most campsites and garages

Food: No restrictions. Readily available. 

Vehicle / trailer repairs: Main cities. 

Bottle Gas or Refills: The following bottled gas retailers sell gas in France:

Gas adapter:  ACME and Dish adapters are used in Austria: 

LPG: In addition to cooking gas for those with tanks, LPG is also used to power vehicles. Details of LPG gas stations and connectors can be found on the website A list of Points of Interest (POI's), a list of stations, can also be downloaded in other applications and on other devices like Garmin, TomTom, Google Earth and iGO primo. Links can be found here.


Currency: Euro


Post Brexit: Access to healthcare for British nationals travelling or living in the EU, European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland will change if there’s a no-deal Brexit. NHS website. During the first 6 months after Brexit, if you need medical treatment and you're being asked to pay for it, the UK can help. This may be through arrangements with the country you live in, or by paying your healthcare provider directly. 

To organise a payment, you'll need to give your healthcare provider's details to the NHS Business Services Authority's Overseas Healthcare Services. Call the NHS Business Services Authority on +44 (0)191 218 1999 for more information. Lines are open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm and Saturday 9am to 3pm (UK time).

Medical Insurance: For advice on insurance for over 65 and pre existing conditions see here



There will be no quarantine for your pet as long as the following regulations are met. Unless otherwise stated, the regulations below apply to domestic dogs, cats and ferrets including service and emotional support dogs and cats. Owners of other pets should refer to item 12. 

For owners of pets entering or returning to the European Union (EU) from the United Kingdom (UK): as of October 31, 2019, if there is no ratified deal between the UK and EU, the UK is likely to be treated as an unlisted (high-rabies) country under the EU Pet Travel Scheme. If this is the case, then a titer test will be required a minimum of 3 calendar months in advance of travel any EU Member State from the UK. (see step #3) Your pet will also need an EU health certificate issued by a licensed veterinarian within 10 days of travel. (see step #5) Your pet will need to enter the EU at an approved Border Inspection Post.

For owners of pets returning to the UK from the EU, your pet will need either an existing EU pet passport (both for UK and EU citizens) or the EU health certificate issued in the UK used to travel to the EU.


Places to stay 


Name / Point of contact / Email / Tel No / Website

Price per night


Campsites including places (like hotels) that allow camping within their grounds

Wild camping

Things to do and places to see

  • NGO's

    • Austrian Help Program The Austrian Help Program (AHP) is a Austrian NGO active in central Africa. Working where assistance is most necessary (such as areas beset by military conflict), organisational activities include the building of houses, schools and wells, nutritional programmes and agricultural service provision.

    • Carlitas. Vienna. Initiatives include: disaster relief, hunger awareness and hunger aid campaigns, homecare for disabled people, shelters for homeless people and single mothers, counselling and support centres for people struggling with substance abuse, refugee aid, and occupational projects for the unemployed.African projects include conflict resolution, disaster, humanitarian aid, migration and human trafficking. 

    • Others?

  • Companies

    • Red Bull? 

    • OMV. Produces and markets oil and gas, innovative energy and high-end petrochemical solutions – in a responsible way. 

    • Erste Bank Group

    • Swarovski

Any other suggestions / Information: 

  • Check weather forecasts and conditions and make sure you’re properly equipped for the worst-case scenario. A map, compass, GPS and telecommunication equipment should always be used when travelling outside urban areas. Don’t undertake any activity alone, and consider hiring a guide for expert advice. Always leave copies of your itinerary with someone.

  • It’s illegal in Austria to wear in a public place any clothing or object that conceals the face and makes facial features unrecognisable.

Campingaz refillable cylinders.jpg
UK to ACME.jpeg
Dish adapter.jpeg
bottom of page