top of page

International dialling code: +31 / +599

Driving on the right

European Emergency Dial: 112

Border Crossing(s)

Entry: From Belgium between Corsendonk and Eersel. EU Country (Schengen)- open border. 

Additional information: EU Country - normally no formal border checks. 

Covid measures: For details of country entry, covid measures in place and country entry criteria see  Immigration and Naturalisation Service (Ministry of Justice and Security)


Approximate time to clear:​ No delays. Possible random spot checks.

Exit: A1 highway from De Poppe Netherlands to Bad Bentheim Germany. EU (Schengen) country. No border stop. 

Additional information: EU Country - normally no formal border checks. 

Approximate time to clear:​ No delays. Possible random spot checks.



Passport: For British Citizens your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay; you do not need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this. 

VISA's: Not required for British Citizens. Schengen member. 

The rules for travelling or working in Europe will change if there’s a no-deal Brexit, but you should not need a visa for short trips. The European Commission has proposed that British Citizens would be able to visit countries in the Schengen area or elsewhere in the EU for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa.

If you’re travelling to the Netherlands, previous visits to the Schengen area within the 180 days before your date of travel would count against the 90-day limit, but trips to other EU countries outside the Schengen area (Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and Romania) would not. The 90-day visa-free period would not entitle you to work - most countries will require a visa and work permit. You may also need to get a visa before you travel if you’re planning to stay longer than 90 days, or your visit would take you over the 90 days in 180 days limit. You should check with the Netherlands Embassy what type of visa, if any, you will need.

EHIC: You should apply for a free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before you travel. If you already have an EHIC, make sure it hasn’t expired. 

Driving licence: Visitors can drive using a valid UK or other EU/EEA driving licence. There is no need for an International Driving Permit (IDP), this will remain the case after Brexit. Make sure you have the correct vehicle insurance cover before you arrive. However, if you are driving in other European countries in addition to Norway, note that you will need to get an IDP to be able to drive some European countries as a visitor if there’s a no deal Brexit. To drive in te Ntheralnds you need:

  • A valid UK driving licence.

  • A GB sticker on the back of your car – unless your car has 'Euro-plates' (number-plates that show a circle of 12 stars on a blue background).

  • Your motor insurance certificate and V5 registration document or hire car paperwork.

  • Headlamp converters (stickers you put on your headlights when you're driving on the right, so your lights don't dazzle motorists coming the other way).

​You will need to get an International Driving Permit (IDP) to be able to drive in some European countries as a visitor if there’s a no-deal Brexit. Check this guidance page for full information. You should also check guidance on driving in the EU after Brexit for information on other additional documents you may need to carry. If you’re living in the Netherlands, check the Living in Guide for information on requirements for residents.


Roads:  Other things you should know:

  • You don't have to pay motorway tolls when driving through the Netherlands.

  • Petrol, diesel and LPG are readily available, along with Super (98 Octane), which contains a lead replacement additive.

  • Children measuring less than 1.35m must be placed in an approved child restraint which meets the safety standard ECE 44/03 or later. This applies both in the front and back of the car.

  • The speed limit is 50kph in built-up areas, 80kph on regional and local roads, 100kph on main highways and 130kph on motorways.

  • If you're caught committing a motoring offence you'll be given an on-the-spot fine.

  • It's illegal to carry or use any radar detection equipment.

  • The drink driving limit is 50mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood for most drivers (less than the UK limit of 80mg per 100ml). If you've been driving less than five years, the limit is 20mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood - it's the same for moped riders up to the age of 24.

  • A driver suspected of being under the influence of alcohol will be asked to take a breath test.  In some cases a blood test may be necessary.

  • Cycles and mopeds have right of way over cars. Watch out for cycle lanes - mopeds aren't supposed to use them but often do.

  • If you're in a built-up area, you can only use your horn in cases of extreme danger. Flash your lights instead at night.


Traffic offences can carry heavy, on-the-spot fines. If you are fined, always ask for a receipt. Using a mobile phone while driving is illegal. Drivers are encouraged to use ‘hands free’ equipment.

You must use dipped lights after dark and in misty conditions. If safety belts are fitted, they must be used. You must carry a warning triangle and, in the event of a breakdown, place it 30m behind your vehicle.


Distance: Planned route through The Netherlands is 515 kms / 320 miles. (+10% = 567 kms / 352 miles).


Traffic: See Via Michelin or various applications including Wase.

Speed: Speed cameras, speed traps and unmarked vehicles are widely used. Be vigilant on motorways where the maximum speed can vary. Overhead illuminated lane indicators - when in use - are mandatory. 


Winter Tyres: No special requirements.

Emergency equipment: It's a good idea to have:

  • Spare bulbs for your car's external lights.

  • A fire extinguisher.

  • A first aid kit.

  • A warning triangle - it is not compulsory to carry a warning triangle but a vehicle other than a motorcycle which is insufficiently lit either by its own lights or street lighting when parked at night must be indicated by a red reflectorised warning triangle.

  • Camping Card International to give you additional proof of identity, third party liability insurance, plus discounts at a wide range of campsites and tourist attractions.

  • A Green Card – it's a useful back-up to your motor insurance documents and shows you've got the minimum legal level of cover. If you'd like to find out more, contact your insurance company.


Weather: BBC weather forecast in Rotterdam


Fuel: National Petrol Station networks. Scarcer in Northern areas and Islands.

Water: Readily available at most campsites and garages

Food: No restrictions. 

Vehicle / trailer repairs: Main cities. 

Bottle Gas or Refills: The following bottled gas retailers sell gas in The Netherlands:

LPG: In addition to cooking gas for those with tanks, LPG is also used to power vehicles. Details of LPG gas stations and connectors can be found on the website A list of Points of Interest (POI's), a list of stations, can also be downloaded in other applications and on other devices like Garmin, TomTom, Google Earth and iGO primo. Links can be found here.

Gas adapter: UK Bayonet is used here. 

Currency: Euro



At least 8 weeks before your trip, check the latest country-specific health advice from the National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC) on the TravelHealthPro website. Each country-specific page has information on vaccine recommendations, any current health risks or outbreaks, and factsheets with information on staying healthy abroad. Guidance is also available from NHS (Scotland) on the FitForTravel website.

General information on travel vaccinations and a travel health checklist is available on the NHS website. You may then wish to contact your health adviser or pharmacy for advice on other preventive measures and managing any pre-existing medical conditions while you’re abroad.

The legal status and regulation of some medicines prescribed or purchased in the UK can be different in other countries. If you’re travelling with prescription or over-the-counter medicine, read this guidance from NaTHNaC on best practice when travelling with medicines. For further information on the legal status of a specific medicine, you’ll need to contact the embassy, high commission or consulate of the country or territory you’re travelling to.



There will be no quarantine for your pet as long as the following regulations are met. Unless otherwise stated, the regulations below apply to domestic dogs, cats and ferrets including service and emotional support dogs and cats. Owners of other pets should refer to item 12. 

For owners of pets entering or returning to the European Union (EU) from the United Kingdom (UK): as of October 31, 2019, if there is no ratified deal between the UK and EU, the UK is likely to be treated as an unlisted (high-rabies) country under the EU Pet Travel Scheme. If this is the case, then a titer test will be required a minimum of 3 calendar months in advance of travel any EU Member State from the UK. (see step #3) Your pet will also need an EU health certificate issued by a licensed veterinarian within 10 days of travel. (see step #5) Your pet will need to enter the EU at an approved Border Inspection Post.

For owners of pets returning to the UK from the EU, your pet will need either an existing EU pet passport (both for UK and EU citizens) or the EU health certificate issued in the UK used to travel to the EU.

Places to stay 


Name / Point of contact / Email / Tel No / Website

Price per night



Campsites including places (like hotels) that allow camping within their grounds

  • Groningen

    • Camping Groningen​. Woortmansdijk 1, 9608 TA Westerbroek, Netherlands. T: +31 50 404 1433

  • Arnhem

  • Amsterdam. Low emission zone exemption required for diesel vehicles. If you have a foreign registration number, please mail to 

    • Camping Vliegnbos.Meeuwenlaan 138, 1022 AM Amsterdam
      Phone: +31 (0)20 636 8855
      e-mail: ​

    • Camping Zeeburg. Zuider IJdijk 20, 1095 KN Amsterdam, Netherlands. T: +31 20 694 4430

    • Camping de Badhoeve. Uitdammerdijk 10, 1026 CP Amsterdam, Netherlands. T: +31 20 490 4294

  • Utrecht

    • Camping Between Heaven and Earth. Kanonsdijk 7, 3737 MS Groenekan, Netherlands. T: +31 30 262 6798​

    • Fort aan de Klop. 1e Polderweg 4, 3563 MC Utrecht, Netherlands. T: +31 30 266 0555

  • The Hague

    • NTC Campground de Haan. Monsterseweg 21, Den Haag, Netherlands. T: ​TBC

    • Camping het Zonneveld. Gaagweg 24, 2636 AJ Schipluiden, Netherlands. T: +31 15 380 8053

  • Rotterdam

    • Recreation Oude Mas. Achterzeedijk 1A, 2991 SB Barendrecht,
      Netherlands. T: +31 78 677 2445​

    • Hoeve Bouwlust. Oostgaag 31, 3155 CE Maasland,
      Netherlands. T: +31 10 591 2775

  • Dordrecht

    • Camping Polderland.  Platte Schenkel 1a, 3295 KJ 's-
      Gravendeel, Netherlands​. T: +31 6 51913943​


Wild camping


Things to do and places to see

  • NGO's

    • Cordaid International. We combine relief and development aid to help people move beyond survival and live in dignity. Ethiopia, Kenya, Zimbabwe. South Sudan. 

    • Oxfam Novib. Sudan and Egypt.

    • Practica Foundation Boosts Research & Development to Improve Livelihood of Rural Poor in Developing Countries Focus areas 

      • Drilling and Wells

      • Drinking Water

      • Energy efficiency

      • Irrigation

      • Renewable energy

      • Sanitation

    • Rabobank Foundation Supporting Farmers Abroad. Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia

    • Plan Netherlands Grants Supporting Different Issues of Society Across Latin America, Africa & Asia. 

      • Protection from Violence

      • Education

      • Work and Food security

      • Water, Sanitation and hygiene (WASH)

      • Emergency Aid

    • The Arctic Centre. University of Groningen. ​Conduct primary research into: the functioning of Arctic and Antarctic ecosystems; undertake inter-disciplinary investigation of long-term human-environment relations in these regions, using archaeological, anthropological, historical, biological and geographic approaches; monitor human impacts on polar environments and explore the growing geopolitical significance of these areas for transport, tourism and mineral extraction.

  • Companies

    • Rotterdam Port. Main N European oil terminal and storage facilities. 

    • Oil import company(s). 
      Oil Storage company(s).

    • CEPS Pipeline. Central European Pipeline System. Extends through Belgium, France, Germany, Luxemburg and The Netherlands. Multi product pipeline. It consists of a 5 279 Km pipeline network, connecting 36 depots with a net storage capacity of about 1 million m3, three (3) rail loading stations, and 16 truck loading stations; it is also connected to 11 refineries and six (6) sea entry points (Northern sea, Atlantic ocean and Mediterranean sea). 

    • Spar International. Amsterdam. International retail chain, Active in Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia, South Africa.

    • The Netherlands Royal Tropical Institute, Mauritskade 63, 1092 AD Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Aquaculture project in Ethiopia.  

  • Tourism

    • Arnhem Bridge. Operation Market Garden. Full day €400 / half 
      day €200 for up to 4 people.. 

      • Joël Stoppels
        Calvijnstraat 4
        9746 BE Groningen
        +31(0)50 2803684/ +31(0)6 36335370

    • Rijksmuseum. Art gallery​

    • Anne Frank House

    • Van Gogh Museum

Any other suggestions / Information: 

To be added in due course.

Campingaz refillable cylinders.jpg
UK Bayonet.jpeg
bottom of page