top of page

International dialling code: +49

Driving on the right

European Emergency Dial: 112. National emergency numbers 110 (Police) and 112 (Fire Brigade & Ambulance).

Border Crossing(s)

Entry 1: A67 highway / Route 40 at Herungerberg (west of Duisberg). 

Additional information: EU border crossing, spot checks possible but otherwise should be 'drive through'.


Entry 2: Route E45 / Route 7 from Denmark, to Flensburg, Germany.   

Covid measures: For entry restrictions and other information see Federal Foreign Office 

Approximate time to clear:​ No delays expected

Exit 1: Puttenberg Harbour. Ferry to Rodbyhavn Denmark. 

Additional information: EU Country - Border controls have been reintroduced at some crossing points between Germany and Austria, Denmark and Sweden. Carry your passport with you and be aware of potential delays.

Approximate time to clear:​ Not known

Exit 2:  Route 280 West of Bunde to The Netherlands.

Additional information: EU Country - Border controls have been reintroduced at some crossing points between Germany and Austria, Denmark and Sweden. Carry your passport with you and be aware of potential delays.

Exit 3: TBC Breitenau Germany to Krazny Les Czech Republic on E55

Additional information: TBC

Approximate time to clear:​ Not known but no significant delays anticipated.



Passport: For British Citizens your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay; you do not need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this. The rules for travel to most countries in Europe will change if there’s a no-deal Brexit. If your adult passport was issued over 9 years ago, you may be affected. You should check your passport is still valid for your trip before booking travel.

There’s no requirement to carry your passport with you, but if you’re asked to show your passport and you don’t have it with you, the police may escort you to wherever your passport is being kept so that you can show it to them.

VISA's: Not required for British Citizens. Schengen member. If you’re travelling to Germany, previous visits to the Schengen area within the 180 days before your date of travel would count against the 90-day limit, but trips to other EU countries outside the Schengen area (Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and Romania) would not.

EHIC: You should apply for a free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before you travel. If you already have an EHIC, make sure it hasn’t expired. 

Driving licence: Visitors can drive using a valid UK or other EU/EEA driving licence. There is no need for an International Driving Permit (IDP), this will remain the case after Brexit. Vehicles from the UK may be imported into Germany for up to 6 months in any period of 12 months. When driving in Germany the following documents should be carried:

  • Full, valid driving licence* 

  • Proof of insurance (third party or above)

  • Proof of ID (Passport)

  • Registration document (V5C Certificate) 


Roads: High standard of roads and driving. 

Traffic: See Via Michelin or various applications including Wase.


Towing: Caravans, camper vans, luggage and boat trailers may be temporarily imported into Germany without formality.

No inventory is required for normal camping equipment in caravans.  If the caravan contains expensive or unusual items, an inventory in duplicate is required.

The following dimensions for vehicles with trailers must not be exceeded:

Height: 4 m
Overall width: 2.55 m (1 m if towed by motorcycle)
Overall length: 12 m
Length of car + caravan:  18.75 m

When towed by a motorcycle or private car, the fully laden weight of the trailer without brakes must not exceed one half of the unladen weight of the towing vehicle plus 75 kg, but in total not more than 750 kg.

Cars towing a caravan must be equipped with two-side rear-view mirrors, which may exceed the overall width of the caravan, but which must be foldable.

On-the-spot fines: The German police are empowered to impose and collect fines of up to €35 on the spot in the case of violation of traffic regulations. The motorist must pay the fine during the following week otherwise legal proceedings will start.

The German police are also empowered to collect an amount exceeding €35 as security deposit for a higher expected fine, and in that case, legal proceedings will start.

Confiscation of vehicles. For serious incidents, the police are allowed to confiscate vehicles of foreign motorists.


Winter Tyres: No special requirements.

Emergency equipment: Vehicles in Germany are required by law to carry the following items. Hefty on-the-spot fines can be issued for failing to carry specific items:

  • Reflective jackets

  • Warning triangle (Compulsory for vehicles registered in Germany)

  • Headlamp beam deflectors (Depending on your car, you will either need deflector stickers or have to adjust the beam manually)

  • First aid kit (Compulsory for four-wheeled vehicles registered in Germany)

Weather: BBC weather forecast Berlin


Fuel: There are many service areas in Germany. Most of them are administered by Autobahn Tank und Rast AG

Most petrol stations are open from 8am to 8pm. In large cities some are open 24 hours a day. On motorways, service stations are open day and night. Most petrol stations accept credit cards and travellers' cheques. At some petrol stations, pumps operate using credit cards. The following fuels are available in Germany

  • Unleaded petrol (95 octane) E10

  • Unleaded petrol (98 octane)

  • Diesel

  • LPG

  • Electric


Water: Readily available at most campsites and garages

Food: No restrictions. 

Vehicle / trailer repairs: Main cities. 

Bottle Gas or Refills: The following bottled gas retailers sell gas in Germany: 

LPG: In addition to cooking gas for those with tanks, LPG is also used to power vehicles. Details of LPG gas stations and connectors can be found on the website A list of Points of Interest (POI's), a list of stations, can also be downloaded in other applications and on other devices like Garmin, TomTom, Google Earth and iGO primo. Links can be found here.

Gas adapter: An ACME adapter is used here.  

Currency: Euro. British nationals have been arrested for possessing counterfeit currency. Avoid changing money anywhere other than banks or legitimate currency exchange offices.  Any person entering or leaving the EU will have to declare the cash that they are carrying if this amounts to 10,000 Euros or more; this includes cheques, travellers’ cheques, money orders, etc. This will not apply to anyone travelling via the EU to a non-EU country, as long as the original journey started outside of the EU, nor to those travelling within the EU.



At least 8 weeks before your trip, check the latest country-specific health advice from the National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC) on the TravelHealthPro website. Each country-specific page has information on vaccine recommendations, any current health risks or outbreaks, and factsheets with information on staying healthy abroad. Guidance is also available from NHS (Scotland) on the FitForTravel website.

General information on travel vaccinations and a travel health checklist is available on the NHS website. You may then wish to contact your health adviser or pharmacy for advice on other preventive measures and managing any pre-existing medical conditions while you’re abroad.

The legal status and regulation of some medicines prescribed or purchased in the UK can be different in other countries. If you’re travelling with prescription or over-the-counter medicine, read this guidance from NaTHNaC on best practice when travelling with medicines. For further information on the legal status of a specific medicine, you’ll need to contact the embassy, high commission or consulate of the country or territory you’re travelling to.



There will be no quarantine for your pet as long as the following regulations are met. Unless otherwise stated, the regulations below apply to domestic dogs, cats and ferrets including service and emotional support dogs and cats. Owners of other pets should refer to item 12. 

For owners of pets entering or returning to the European Union (EU) from the United Kingdom (UK): as of October 31, 2019, if there is no ratified deal between the UK and EU, the UK is likely to be treated as an unlisted (high-rabies) country under the EU Pet Travel Scheme. If this is the case, then a titer test will be required a minimum of 3 calendar months in advance of travel any EU Member State from the UK. (see step #3) Your pet will also need an EU health certificate issued by a licensed veterinarian within 10 days of travel. (see step #5) Your pet will need to enter the EU at an approved Border Inspection Post.

For owners of pets returning to the UK from the EU, your pet will need either an existing EU pet passport (both for UK and EU citizens) or the EU health certificate issued in the UK used to travel to the EU.


Places to stay 


Name / Point of contact / Email / Tel No / Website

Price per night





Including places (like hotels) that allow camping within their grounds


Wild camping

Wild camping is illegal in Germany. You are allowed to sleep one night in a bivvy sack outside of private property and not on nature reserves or restricted areas.  You might be able to wild camp with a tarp tent.  However, whether that counts as a tent is up to the discretion of whoever found you. Be warned that anti-camping laws are actually enforced!!!

Things to do and places to see


  • Tanja Askani's in the Lüneburger Heide Wildlife Park, Hanstedt Ge. (35km S Hamburg). Wolves etc

  • NGO's

    • Frankfurt Zoological Society. Tanzania and Zambia (Nsumbu project at Lake Tanganyika) wildlife protection projects.

    • Kindermothlife. 32 countries in Africa.(Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Zambia, Zimbabwe South Africa). Children and health. Securing a better future for children.

    • Siemens Stiftung (Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa.

    • VSF Germany. Vétérinaires sans Frontìeres Germany (VSFG) is the international name for the German non-profit organisation "Tierärzte ohne Grenzen e.V." who has been working in the Greater Horn of Africa since 1998. It has its headquaters in Berlin, Germany, and a regional office in Nairobi, Kenya. VSF Germany is present with country and field offices in Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan and Uganda. 

    • WTG e.V. Berlin. Farm animals and pets (dogs) 

  • Companies

    • Rotterdam Oil Storage / Port

    • Mercedes Trucks (Unimog)

    • Base Metals

    • Pharmaceuticals

    • Overland Journal

  • Tourism

  • Berlin

  • Mercedes Benz Museum. Stuttgart. 

  • Classic Remise Dusseldorf​

  • Caravan Salon Dusseldorf (27 Aug - 05 Sep 21)

  • Berchtesgaden National Park

  • The Black Forest

  • Other

Any other suggestions / Information: 

There is an environmental zone (Umweltzone) in some inner city centres. Only vehicles meeting specific exhaust emission standards are allowed to enter the zone. See the websites of the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety and the Federal Environmental Agency for further information.



BBC News Germany

DW Germany News

Euronews Germany

The Local (Germany)

Campingaz refillable cylinders.jpg
UK to ACME.jpeg
bottom of page